In wake of the massive earthquake that hit northern California recently, it is very crucial for businesses to consider how prepared they are for natural disasters.
The worst thing to do is constantly put off certain recovery strategies, when in reality you can begin to prepare for any type of disaster, whether it is an earthquake or a ruptured toilet, immediately.
Here is a great checklist to go through to prepare your business for any type of crisis that may occur.
1. Stocking up your materials, especially medical kits, is extremely important. As a business owner it is important to think about if you had walked to work in the morning and a disaster struck, what would you wish you had with you?
2. Training your employees is crucial so that when disaster does strike, they will be calm because they will know what to do. Some examples of important training for your employees would be CPR training as well as teaching them how to properly use a fire extinguisher.
3. Test your data backup. Although in a natural disaster your building may become damaged, it is vital to keep your business running by ensuring all your pervious work has been backed up.
4. Going through numerous communication plans when disaster strikes is key to keep your employees on the same page. Also, after certain natural disasters you may need other ways to communicate with employers for an extended amount of time.
5. Lastly, do not try to plan a crisis plan alone. It is always better to gather sources from all over as well as with your employees to ensure that no step was missed and that you are prepared for anything.